A heat pump can provide both heating and cooling, making it a preferable option for many. Unlike traditional heating and cooling systems, heat pumps come with advantages. Basically, heat pumps consume far less energy than its counterparts while providing the same level of comfort. If you are a new owner of a heat pump, you should know a few things about how to properly use the system and maintain it.
Here are some tips on how to properly use and maintain a heat pump:
Tips on usage:
- Set the thermostat at one temperature. Don’t change the temperature too often. Constant temperature alterations make the system work harder which consumes more energy.
- During the winter, try not to set the thermostat below 65 degrees.
- Try to check the outside unit every so often for dirt and debris.
- Never attempt to pick or knock off ice from the coils using a sharp object. This could puncture the coils as well as cause injury.
- Never position the heat pump North Myrtle Beach, SC under a leaky gutter. When water constantly drips down on the outside unit, a number of problems could happen.
- The heat pump must be elevated by at least 4-8 inches off the ground. This will keep the unit away from dirt, debris, and water.
Tips on maintenance:
- Clean or replace the air filters once a month or as needed. This is a simple task that usually does not require the services of an HVAC contractor.
- Always keep the outside unit clean and free of any dirt and debris. Cleaning is an essential part of keeping the system in top condition.
- Make sure the outside unit has proper airflow. This means you need to keep shrubs at least two feet away from the outside unit or even farther.
- Hire an HVAC technician to do thorough preventive maintenance at least once a year.
When it comes to keeping your heating and cooling system in good shape, you must always hire a reliable technician to perform preventive maintenance. Heat pumps don’t usually go out of order. These systems are made specifically for heating and cooling. Some of the parts are sealed for the longest possible lifespan. However, the internal components of the system could possibly be affected by some causes such as natural wear, degradation, misuse, or the lack of maintenance.
When you are planning on having your system maintained, be sure that you are hiring an expert like NMB HVAC Pros. Bear in mind that HVAC systems cost a lot of money. Maintaining the system is far cheaper than it is to repair or replace them. That’s why you first need to find a reliable HVAC contractor who can inspect, maintain, and fix any possible issues. When it comes to operating and maintaining heat pumps, it is not so complicated. All you need to do is follow the user manual and follow the suggested periodic maintenance.
Do you need professional heating and cooling services? Call NMB HVAC Pros today! You may reach us at (843) 353-4089.
NMB HVAC Pros
North Myrtle Beach, SC, 29582